Is it possible to starve in Bologna?

I know, this title sounds rather akward but my last stay in Bologna - the city known for its amazing cuisine, and called often 'la grassa' which means 'fat' – showed me that eating in Italy is not an easy game.
 
 
A good way to start a day, Italy 2016


It was a cold Wednesday when we arrived to Bologna and this was our last stop before coming back to Poland, so our plan was to eat some amazingly fat & decadent meal consisting of the traditional Emilia-Romagna specialities. Simply, we wanted some tortellini, ravioli, pasta al ragu and a nice dessert that will make our come back home easier to cope with.
 
It was 5 pm when we left the hotel and it was 7:20 when we sat down to the table. What have happened in between? Well, let's just say it turned out to be a long  and ehausting exploration expedition. 

For two hours we were simply searching a decent place that is open, has some food which is not a snack, pizza or is not a buffet but a regular restaurant with tables. But the message we got was clear: restaurants will be open at 7 pm (and it doesn't mean 7 sharp). So there we were, extremely hungry and sad but not because there was no food, but because we wanted to eat what we have planned, not taking into consideration that this is not what locals would have.

As the say when in Rome do as the Romans do and in this case when in Italy eat as Italians do. Especially that they know what they are doing, at least when it comes to food  ;) 


Slice of vegetarian pizza, aaaawesome! Siena 2016


My quite frequent visits in Italy enabled me to notice that the food is really important topic and that each region or even city has it's own cuisine which local people are proud of. Personally, I don't see that much of a difference when it comes to Pecorino Romano and Pecorino Toscano (I actually love both) and for few Italians I know it is a big deal. Different regions have even different types of pasta, wine and even basil!

I would like to share with you with some of my observations made during my Italian trips so you can avoid rumbling stomach or simply this judgemental look on the waiter's face.

1. When you want to get a coffee latte don't say just "latte" or you will get a glass of milk (true story). Also be careful with ordering cappucciono or other "milky" coffee in the afternoon - apparently for some Italians is pure madness to do so.

2. When booking a room you often get a breakfast option - be warned that in Italy quite often it's just a kind of pastry and cup of coffee. It's not popular in Italy to eat the kind of heavy-sausage-egg-cheese breakfast we eat in Poland. 

3. Depending on the season and the region there is a time of the day when restaurants are simply closed. We had this situation in Bologna, but I also experienced it in Sicily and Liguria. Between 2 - 6 pm restaurants may be closed and you will end up hungry. But don't worry you're not gonna die, you can always get some slice of pizza or other type of street food. 

4. Pizza - I love Italian pizza so much because it's soooo simple! It may look a little modest on your plate but the great amount of toppings is not what it makes it tastes so delicious. It's the well made dough and good quality ingredients that make a plain Margherita a culinary masterpiece. 

5. Aperitivo  - an alcoholic beverage and open snack buffet that is a prelude to the appropriate dinner. Both the drink and the snack are suppose to stimulate the appetite before dinner but in my case a wide selection of snacks (fried polenta, grilled vegetables, pasta, salads, cheese, bread, pizzetine etc.) that you can taste freely is usually enough. 

6. Late dinners - as I mentioned above few snacks from the buffet are enough for me for dinner but Italians can eat a lot for dinner. I like to observe people, also when they are eating (yes, you can judge me, I am creepy), so I have noticed that eating two-course meal at 8 pm is quite normal for Italians. Just how on earth do they stay so slim? This is a riddle I haven't solve yet. But I will, and I will share it with you, don't worry.

I don't take much photos of food, I am usually to hungry to play with my camera while the food is served, so insted I will just share with you some pics from my last visit in Bologna. Enjoy!



awaited, tasty dinner in nice and cozy trattoria La Mela, Bologna 



 
Bologna, Fontana di Nettuno



 
Piazza Maggiore, Bologna 2016

 
Piazza Maggiore, Bologna 2016


 
Bologna, 2016



Bologna 'La Rossa', 2016

Bologna 2016
 
Bologna streets
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kto nigdy nie widział Sewilli, ten nigdy nie patrzył z zachwytem..."

Święto dyszla tu i tam...

Wenecja miasto miłości - a jakże!