Magic is a part of life - Rome off the trail

I went to Rome... again. I don't know why but this city has something that attracts me, lures me, enchants me. Something that makes me wanna go there again and again. Is it the history hidden behind every corner, under every stone? Or maybe it's the energetic and chaotic vibe that makes me feel so excited? Or maybe it's just a cup of delicious cappuccino I can enjoy while watching the endless crowds of tourist, pilgrims and Romans in their crazy dance of a hurry.


 
Borghese Gardens, 2016

I have spend Easter holidays in Rome, but as I needed to find some peace  and quiet in order to perform my soulsearching, I decided to avoid the most popular touristic destinations such as Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona or Colloseum. And I must say it was a great decision. I have found some magic places and so I would like to share with you some of the memories that will probably stay with me forever. 



1. The Pyramide of Gaius Cestius

Piramide in Rome? Yes; apparently after Romans have conquered Egypt the piramids have become quite popular among the wealthy inhabitants of the empire, who wanted their tombs to be original and impressive.  The one built for Gaius Cestius is quite well preserved and can be easily reached by Roman metro or buses (I bet the guy didn't expect this to happen ;)). According to the legend the pyramide has been erected in 330 days which is quite impressing because it's almost 40 meters high.



The Pyramide, Roma






The Pyramide, Rome



The Pyramide, view from the Cementary




2. Cimitero Acattolico

When I was walking around the Pyramide I accidentaly discovered an open gate that led me to one of the most beautiful cementaries I ever seen -  a Non-Catholic Cemetery of Rome. Don't get me wrong, I like visiting cementaries not because I am a crank (although I am am bit weird in general) but because this kind of places remind me how much I love and appreciate life. This cementary, situated right next to the ancient riuns and the Pyramid, is also beautiful and romantic... Information for poetry lovers: both Shelley and Keats are buried there. Cimitero Acattolico is also a good place for cat lovers cause the surprisingly fat cats are hanging around the paths or lying on the tombstones, catching the sunlight.   



Cimitero Acattolico, Roma



Cimitero Acattolico, Roma

  
Cimitero Acattolico, Roma


 
Cimitero Acattolico 

 
Cimitero Acattolico, Roma


Cimitero Acattolico, Shelley's tomb

 
Cimitero Acattolico, John Keats tomb


 
Cementary cat numero 1

 
Cememntary cat numero 2  



Cimitero Acattolico, Roma


3. EUR - Esposizione Universale di Roma

For architecture and urban planning lovers it's definitely a place to visit, although the history of this place is frankly just creepy. In 1930s Benito Mussolini has chosen this area as a place to organize the world's fair of 1942, so he could celebrate the 20th anniversary of March of Rome. As for a small man like him he wanted to build something big, that would show the strenght of the nation he have headed. As we know now, the Expo of 1942 didn't happen as the II WW began in 1939. But some of the building have been designed by most prominent architects of fascist era. After the war, in 50s and 60s the buildings have been completed and and the area has become a business disctrict. I have to say that when I was walking the wide streets and spacious squares of EUR I was actually happy to see how this place looks nowadays - young people in the coffee shops, pleanty of avant-garde shops and a couple of men kissing tenderly right next to the "Square Colloseum" - the icon building of this fascist nightmare.  


Esposizione Universale di Roma

Esposizione Universale di Roma 


Esposizione Universale di Roma

EUR, Roma

EUR, Roma Japannese Garden

EUR, Roma


4. Borghese Gardens

English style garden, blooming trees, smell of freshly cutted grass and a warm sun rays on my face - just a perfect combination for a spring Sunday. Borghese Gardens is a large park situated close to the center of Rome (entrace from Piazza del Popolo od Piazza di Spagna, easily reached by metro) but yet away from the noise of the main streets. The park is huge and has some lovely buildings (Villa Borghese) ponds, ducks, sculptures and some more of my favourite things ;) It's a great place to have a picnic, play volleyball or simply to lay down on the grass and watch the clouds (if you are lucky to see at least one cloud on the Roman blue sky;)).



 
Borghese Gardens, entrance from Piazza del Popolo

Galleria Borghese, 2016

Borghese Gardens, 2016

Borghese Gardens, Rome  


Borghese Gardens, 2016

Borghese Gardens, Museum of Modern Art


Henryk Sienkiewucz in Borghese Gardens


Borghese Gardens

Borghese Gardens


5. Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls 

One of the four ancient, Roman basilicas that was founded by the Emperor Constantin. As it's not in the city center it's not so crowded, so you can actually find peace to pray. For me it's my second favourite church in Rome (the favorite favorite is my little secret ;)). It's huge and spacious, rich and adorned but somehow I felt so good there... it has an extraordinary atmosphere which is actually quite hard for me to describe. So just take a look at my pictures, or better go there and check it out:


Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls, Rome


Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls 

Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls

Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls


Comments

  1. Podróżuj często i pisz dużo o Rzymie, będę miała guide touristique par excellence, jeśli się w końcu kiedyś tam wybiorę :) JB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Kto nigdy nie widział Sewilli, ten nigdy nie patrzył z zachwytem..."

Święto dyszla tu i tam...

Wenecja miasto miłości - a jakże!