The pig's head, laundry and granita - destination Cefalù




Granita siciliana 


I have noticed recently that the older I am the more cleanliness freak I become (it can actually has something to do with the business I am working for as well ;)). Luckily, my germophobic behaviours doesn't prevent me from travelling even to such not-so-sterile places as Sicily so I guess there is no need to panic. Especially, that panicking is my second old man's habit... :P

It is actually quite odd how much love I have for the smelly and messy Mediterranean island of Sicily. And if you are going to Sicily, or planning to go all I can say is that I envy you so, so very much! This year I will not be able to do the same, and so with this short (I hope) post I would like to tell you a little bit about the true but not obvious beauty of Cefalù - a small Sicilian town located in the Northern part of the island, right between Palermo and Messina. I have spend there just one day so my aim is not to play the smart, just to share my impressions and memories of this lovely place. And I have chosen Cefalù as an example because for me it is a whole Sicily in miniature.



Cefalu, Sicily 2014


Cefalu, Sicily 2014


Cefalu, Sicily 2014




Cefalù, despite the small size, has got everything what a relax-seeking wanderer may think of: the lovely beach, majestic rocks, excellent food and nooks full of history (among them scary medieval laundry). As the the town was in the past ages conquered and ruled by Greeks, Romans, Carthaginians, Byzantines, Vandals, Goths, Normans, Arabs, Spanish and others it has some amazing stories to tell. 


Cefalu Cathedral, 2014

 
Cefalu Cathedral, 2014




Postcards shows Cefalù as a fishermen's village but the place has more to offer than a freshly caught sword fish or octopus. Twelfth century cathedral that combines different architectural styles (including Byzantine and Arabic) is one of my favourite churches whatsoever.

Its raw and sandy exterior hides amazing mosaic of Christ Pantokrator who has blond hair and "seeing all" brown eyes. Despite the old byzantince gold-decorating the church is not (in my opinion ofcourse) excessively ornate.


 
Cefalu, 2014


Right behind the cathedral huge la Rocca masiff makes the church and other buildings looks smaller than they really are.  In fact Cefalù is small when it comes to its area. And the small size gives the atmosphere of coziness and calmness. Despite the numerous shops selling crappy souveninrs (come on, we all love those colorful magnets and beer pads)  so far does not become a tourist resort and still is a place where "the real life" can be seen and snoop. A narrow (some of them extremely narrow) streets are still decorated with hanging loundry, including some nice examples of both male and female undergarments ;) 




Cefalu, 2014


Cefalu, 2014


Cefalu, 2014



Cefalu, 2014

Cefalu, 2014


Cefalu, 2014

Additionally, some nosy people can stumble for example on the pig's head, that is lying on the table and waiting for the fate to fulfill. While wandering leisurely the streets of Cefalù the open doors seemed to be an invitation, and so I entered. But then the pig's head looked more like a warning. Or maybe it was just the truth about the place. A simple truth, saying that the city lives its life no matter how not photogenic and ordinary it is.      

BTW, enjoy your meat :P


Cefalu, 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kto nigdy nie widział Sewilli, ten nigdy nie patrzył z zachwytem..."

Święto dyszla tu i tam...

Wenecja miasto miłości - a jakże!