Free your mind – this is Oslo art

Vigeland Park, Olso 2015

Today a little bit about this weird and truly democratic version of art that can be seen both on the streets of Oslo as well as in its art galleries and exhibitions. And since the city is so open-minded also art is not necessarily treated with a deadly seriousness. Art after all can be fun.

First of all I must say that in my head I divide art in three categories that are not academic nor scientific but just mine. I make them up just for my personal use so under any circumstances do not use them in a serious and academic dispute ;)This categories are: the great art, the common art and Nature.

Nature - with a capital letter - because frankly, it is an uber-artist that creates the most dazzling and breathtaking works of art ever. And never repeat itself. Amen. 

The idea of the “great art” for me is the one that can be found in places like Uffizzi Gallery or Louvre and is in fact the work of the greatest artists. I put this stuff in the box labeled: important.

Then there is the common, daily art that surrounds us wherever we go. I usually put into this box all the nice things I see including decorative art, fashion, design and crafts in general.  The common art can be found everywhere and recently I am very sensitive to it. I see and I appreciate the artistry of a well cooked and served meal, of a good Instagram photo and of a lovely dress.

The fact that I categorize art does not mean that I rate it. Moreover I believe all kinds of art can be inspiring, amusing and moving. And I must admit it was not difficult to experience this feelings when I visited Olso, although I have never expected that. But the images of naked people that are spread all over this once protestant city made me change my opinion ;)




  1. The streets of Olso are colorful - and not only thanks to the diversity brought by people from all over the world but also trough murals, posters and paintings. And I always repeat that colors make things better. 


Mare Nostrum, Olso 2015
  
  
Mare Nostrum, Olso 2014
  
Olso, 2014
  
Is this art or may I sit? Olso, 2015
  
For sure you can sit next to this guy, Olso 2015
  
  2.The church - Oslo Cathedral is in fact a small and modest church that cannot be compared with Catholic ones. Inside I found touching installation "Cruelty has a Human Heart". And Nowegian people experienced that cruelty few years ago. This wound is still open.  

"Cruelty has a Human Heart", Olso 2015


3. The National Gallery and City Hall
In Olso National Gallery you can find works of Picasso, Rodin, Degas, Titian, Rubens and of course Munch. You can visit it for free on Sundays. You can also try to draw or sketch your own interpretaion of Vigeland sculpture and share it with future visitors. How cool is that? The city hall is probably the most ugly one I ever seen but inside it is a whole different story...


National Gallery, Olso 2015


Adolph Tidemand, A Woman's Arm, Olso National Gallery
Oslo City Hall

Oslo City Hall


Oslo City Hall

Yes, this is also art, Oslo City Hall

Cross stitching is awesome, I always knew it, Oslo City Hall


4. The last but least - The Vigeland Park: 212 sculptures in granite, bronze and iron. Fountains, figures, terraces and the Monolith: 17.3 meter high column made by 121 granite bodies. Naturalistic carvings, depicting people and relationships between them.  


Vigeland Park, Olso 2015

Vigeland Park, 2015

I must say I was touched by those images of humans stripped out of their clothes and disguises – as natural and simple as possible, wearing only their emotions. I immensely admire sculptures for their ability to carve in a cold and hard peace of stone or marble so many emotions. And in Vigeland’s sculptures I saw motion, emotions and naked truth about relationships. Somehow, someway few of the sculptures in Vigeland Park touched the right spot in my soul. And then I started to cry. Odd but true.    

Vigeland Park, Olso 2015
Vigeland Park, Oslo 2015
Vigeland Park, Oslo 2015
Vigeland Park, Oslo 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kto nigdy nie widział Sewilli, ten nigdy nie patrzył z zachwytem..."

Święto dyszla tu i tam...

Wenecja miasto miłości - a jakże!