I left my heart in San Francisco





Actually, I wasn’t even planning to go to San Francisco in the first place. When I started to plan my trip the windy city by the bay seemed too distant, too fancy, too hippie and too wild for a nice girl like me.  On the way I changed and I’ve changed my mind as well. And so I went to San Fran and ultimately I left a piece of my heart there.





I landed at SFO at 2 am and without my bagpack which was accidentaly sent to Denver (thanks a lot Frontier). I decided to sleep at the airport and luckily my luggage arrived about 8 am (you have no idea how happy I was when I got it back!). From the moment I arrived to the city  I was so delighted, as if someone was spraying something in the air. The streets, coffee places, people, buildings, piers  – everything seemed so nice and friendly. And then I got to my hostel which turend out to be one of the best places I’ve ever stayed in. Remember, if you are ever in San Francisco Green Tortoise Hostel is a perfect place to stay – helpful, friendly staff, many opportunities to socialize with other travelers and good location.

In total I’ve spend only a week in San Francisco doing  all the touristy things: cycling to Sausalito via Golden Gate Bridge, discovering  nooks and crannies of Alcatraz and souvenir shopping at Pier 39. Plus eating large amounts of great food as San Francisco turned out to be a foodie heaven – with diverse food from all over the world.

Below you can see some of my favourite photos of the windy city. Soon, I am planning to write something more about Alcatraz because it was both disturbing and exciting place to visit. And as odd as it sounds - I want to back there one day ;)



My favourite pier in SF, a perfect spot for a mornig coffee (even despite the heavy, cold wind that was ruining my hair ;)) In a 1967 Scott  McKenzie song he advise that if you are going to San Francisco you should make sure to wear some flowers in your hair. And you know what, with this wind it just not possible. Imagine my disappointment...:P


Legandary Pier 39, touristy and commercial spot full of restaurants and shops. A shop with products only for the left-handed people  is among my favourite, (but my number one is the one with Christmas decorations !) 


Area of Pier 39, San Francisco


Pier 39, San Francisco 


Skyline view  and the morning fog 


In San Francisco even the business district seems to be less stiff and more hippy... and people walk much more slowly than in NYC.


Cable Cars in San Francisco - a great way to explore the city - of course with the wind in your hair.


Sausalito - a small and lovely town situated just at the nothern end of the Golden Gate bridge. It brings to mind the coastal Italian resorts - and I just loved it! Such a peaceful, green place. And I ate there the best burrito ever, vegetarian of course (and the biggest one as well ;))  


At Pier 39 you can watch (and listen!) sea lions. I had no idea they can be so cute... and so loud :D


This is why I like San Franciso so much - intense colors, sea breeze and chillout vibe. This place just cries out for a picnic!


Dog park and the Golden Gate Bridge behind the fog.


And that would be me, trying to take control over my hair. Btw The BRIDGE is behind me if you didnt't notice :P 


On the way to Alcatraz... creepy as hell but so interesting!


San Francisco Belle - a huge boat I could only enjoy from the outside as my budget was pretty tight. Still, it looked amazing...


Pacific Ocean and fearless surfers (it was freaking cold out there...)


Beach at the ocean - cold, windy and decorated with autumn colors


San Francisco, Little Italy and one of my favourite murals


San Francisco has an unique architecture which I simply adore ... 


...unfortunately I didn't have a chance to see it from the inside.


The hippie Haight-Ashbury - coloful, weird place where you can buy the weirdest and coolest vintage clothes.


The famous Lombard Street - the crookedest street in the world (it has eight hairpin turns) ...good luck drivers.


San Francisco Mission District - neighborhood that originally belonged to Mission San Francisco de Asis


Thanks to the concentration of Hispanic or Latino residents in the Mission District you can feel the latin vibe and taste some great tacos. Only 5$ for insanely big portion.


Mission District, San Francisco 


Last but not least, an  abandoned house in San Francisco where I plan to live when I am an old, grumpy hippie. I just need to take care of my hips so I will be able to climb those stairs :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kto nigdy nie widział Sewilli, ten nigdy nie patrzył z zachwytem..."

Święto dyszla tu i tam...

Magic is a part of life - Rome off the trail