Notes from Chiang Mai




The first time I’d ever heard of Chiang Mair was when I was watching some vegan vlogs.  Since this city is well-known as a promised land for both vegans and vegetarians. I remember it hosting a  Fruit Festival at the time and I thought it could be a paradise for someone like me, who is dreaming about a  perfectly  ripe mango ;)


Due to the bad weather (in 2017 southern parts of Thailand had been affected by the flood) I decided to leave Phuket earlier and go to Chiang Mai. The city is located in the northern part of Thailand and so the temperature there is much more bearable. I knew I would  stay there longer since the Phuket’s heat and humidity were not an easy experience for me.


The city of temples

Chang Mai is known as the city of temples. There are more than 300 buddhist temples (called wats) in the city, plus some other churches including the catholic church, where you can see a monument of John Paul II (not the best one though). The temples are really beautiful but my favorite one is the one dedicated to … dogs. It might not be the most beautiful but it is full of dog figures and so it was kind of touching for such a dog lover as me. There are many stray dogs in this temple so if you are not afraid you can play with them as they bask in the sun.


Most temples in Chiang Mai were built between 13th and 18th century and they represent the “Lanna” style as the Lannathai (Lan Na) people were living in this area of  Northern Thailand. In the city you can visit the Lanna Folklife Museum as well and see some examples of their art and crafts.


I’ve spend a lot of time visiting temples and discovering the not very touristic parts of the city where I could watch the “real life” of the city. Thai people were very friendly and often asked to have a  photo taken with me so I thought I was  seemingly famous in Asia ;).









Wat Chedi Luang, Chiang Mai










Wat Saen Fang, Chiang Mai


Wat Saen Fang, Chiang Mai





Wat Saen Fang, Chiang Mai





Temple of dogs in Chiang  Mai






Lanna Folklife Museum, Chiang Mai


Grub or noch for everyone

As I mentioned before, Chiang Mai is a very vegan/vegetarian friendly place and so I just had to make a tour among the city most famous venues. And I ate a lot! I was literally stuffing myself with tons of fruits as well (Thai mangos are the clear evidence that God exist!).  Among the many restaurants I found two that are worth mentioning. One is called Vegan Heaven (44/6 Loi Kroh Rd) and they have just awesome Pad Thai and delicious desserts. The second one is called Blue Diamond (Moom Muang Road, Soi 9) and I had the best fried pineapple rice ever  Both places are pretty cheap and serve freshly made, tasty food. I give it my recommendation.



Every Saturday evening  one part of the old town is closed and hosts the Saturday Night Market that serves an opportunity  to taste local street food, buy some hand-made souvenirs and get crushed by the hordes of tourists from all over the world.  The place is really crowded, and spiced up by the mixture of weird smells but I think it is worth visiting (just better do it earlier, about 6pm because later the crowd is so big it is I could barely make a move). 
I also recommend the Ploen Rudee Night Market with live music and food trucks that serve some very decent food from all  over the world. After eating tons of Pad Thai it was really nice to try some samosas, spring rolls and gyoza. This hipster place is a great combination of good food and nice music performed by young Thai bands.



Ploen Rudee Night Market, Chiang Mai

Saturday Night Market, Chiang Mai 



Yep, the food looks and tastes delicious



But the dragon fruit looks much more exciting than it tastes...



Pad Thai for everyone!

Super cheap snacks at the Sturday Night Market, Chiang Mai

Fried rice with pineapple - sweet and satisfying!

Vegan Pad Thai served in Vegan Heaven...oh how I miss it!



Street food is never boring in Thailand ;)


A soup in a bag - because why not?


Any seafood fan here?



In the area of Chiang Mai you can also spend some time in the Animal Sanctuaries and those are the places where you can see mostly rescued elephants. Thailand is still using this animals for work, transportation and - what is the most shocking in 2018 - as tourist attraction. The retired and saved animals can be seen in this kind of centers. Tourists can help with feeding and bathing the elephants and the entrance fee supports the functioning of the center. I support this initiative. And a heartfelt plea from me: please do not ride elephants while you on exotic vacations! They are often beaten into submission, they are abused and suffer in the captivity. Elephants are intelligent and beautiful animals, let them be free and happy like they deserve.


Flower market in Chiang Mai





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kto nigdy nie widział Sewilli, ten nigdy nie patrzył z zachwytem..."

Święto dyszla tu i tam...

Wenecja miasto miłości - a jakże!