Travelling is dangerous. Or maybe it’s just me?



Alcatraz entrance, 2016


Have you ever noticed that people who travel a lot often change? It is obvious that travelling changes people at some level. They usually become more open-minded, brave and independent. But this is not the only thing that changes. Or in my case it wasn’t.

After 7 months of travelling, moving from one place to another, sleeping in random places and eating not very healthy food  I was expecting that coming back to reality, to regular, “normal life” will bring me stabilization and ease. But to be honest it didn’t. The regular, day-to-day, weekend-to weekend life brought me anything but this.

First, there was a stage of mock acceptance because I knew that everything good eventually comes to an end. I am a big girl so I just decided to accept it.

Then there was an excitement that usually comes when new things are happening: new job, new flat! Photos to organize and print. Boxes to unpack. Beloved friends to meet. Yay!

And then the everyday life kicks in. Eight hours in front of the computer. Monday to Friday the same tram to the office, the same faces. Microwaved lunch. Shopping, November dark evenings. Endless calls, purposeless meetings and countless  e-mails. And all those memories and faces of the wonderful people I met started to fade away. What was left was the sadness and disappointment spiced up by anger.

Then this reflection was born: travelling is a stimulant, it is like a drug that makes you high. If you go for two week holidays you know how hard it is to come back to work, but this is too short to get addicted.

When you travel for a longer period of time you become a travel junkie. When you stop doing it your brain lack the stimulation or whatever it is to make you keep going. Adrenaline, dopamine, serotonin, endorphins… you name it.

It takes time until you learn to live normally, to accept the monotonous rhythm of subsequent days, weeks and months. And it takes time to learn to enjoy those moments again, those simple moments and little things that happen in the comfort of the flat you honestly cannot afford (if you’re still thinking of travelling far…).


In the depths of despair I didn’t even look at my photos but  a few of them I always have with me, on my mobile and here they are. Pictures of the happiest moments that belong to the past. Hopefully future is full of moments like this, not only my future but also yours.

P.S. Soon new posts with more pictures and stories. I promise new post will be more positive. Stay tuned!




Miami Beach, the night before the hurricane Matthew hit. The sky that evening had so many colours it looked like painted<3


My favourite bench in San Francisco where I was drinking  my morning coffee. Slowly sipping cappuccino in nice place has been a kind of my ritual  in every place I've visited and that actually consumed a large part of my travel funds ;)  




Georgia from above
"little boxes on the hillside, little boxed made of ticky-tacky"



Light and music show in Gardens by the Bay in Singapore was a truly unforgettable experience. As for me Singpore was the hottest city I've ever visited so I had do the sightseeing after the dusk. But it actually gave the city even more charm...





Ayutthaya, Buddha head in the roots of a tree. I am not a buddhist so I don't have any religious feelings about this but it fascinates me how nature harmonizes here with the product of a human hands. 



The view of Athens, right before the sunset. I just adore this light...



Phuket tured out to be a bit disappointing but nonetheless some of the images I've captured there will stay with me forever.



First impression of Bangkok and Southeast Asia. Lovely, colofrul chaos and the stuffiness that makes you brathe with difficulties and sweat like a pig. Damn I miss it!




Jerusalem, right next to the entrance to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Sacred and profane are meeting basically everywhere.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kto nigdy nie widział Sewilli, ten nigdy nie patrzył z zachwytem..."

Święto dyszla tu i tam...

Wenecja miasto miłości - a jakże!