The New York State of Mind



Brooklyn Brodge, NYC

I think everything has already been written about this place. New York is indeed a „city that doesn’t sleep”, a „concrete jungle” where „there’s nothing you can’t do”. Frank knew about the charm of this place and Billy get a „New York state of mind” once in a while. They all made me dream about New York since I can remember.  

When I was finally able to go there I was both super excited and afraid that I might get disappointed. But has New York disappointed me ?



Actually, quite the opposite – it was a love at first sight. I wish I could put down in words the sensations I felt when I left the underground and saw the Times Square for the first time. I know many people hate the Time Square, but I saw it for the first time early in the morning, and this is why I wasn’t crushed by the crowds and chaos. I just saw it as it is: colorful and vibrant. 

In total I’ve spend in NYC only 2 weeks so I am going to pretend like I know anything about this giant and crazy city. I just want to share my TOP 5 places in NYC - places I want to visit again...soon ;)

1. Top of the Rock

Why the Rock and not the Empire State Building? Simply because from the top of the Rockefeller Center you can see the Empire State Building as well as the Central Park. The view is breathtaking...
Rockefeller Center, NYC

The view from the Top of the Rock
 
Central Park from the Top of the Rock


NYC
 
NYC at night

2. Staten Island

Ok, by Staten Island I actually mean a ferry that is taking you there (for free) and allows you to admire the views as you you can see below. Do I really need to explain why this was one of my best experiences? I don’t think so ;)


New York, New York...

3. High Lane and Chelsea Market


The High Lane is a linear park created on an inactive railroad viaduct and beautifully refers to the industrial past of this part of Manhattan. The park is a 2,3 km long overground promenade with plants, benches and even a small  lawn for picnic lovers. The park is located in post-industrial Chelsea that thanks to revitalization of the High Lane, became one of the most popular, and expensive districts. The area is full of art studios and stylish shopping places. As a genuine foodie I couldn’t resist to visit the Chelsea Market - an urban food court where you can buy any type of food, from Berlin currywurst, crepes to sushi. I tried some thai stir fry and it was just pretty good.

 
The High Lane, NYC
The High Lane NYC
 
The High Lane... and no I haven't ;)


4. Metropolitan Museum of Art
There are three reasons why I think MET is the best museum I’ve seen so far. First of all:  the collection. Just name the artist and for sure they have it: Rembrandt, Vermeer, Botticelli, Titian, El Greco, Modigliani, Pollock...they are all there! Second, the building itself is a masterpiece that is actually considered as a historic landmark (built in 1880). The third reason is the location, right next to the Central Park, where you can rest after a long day of dealing with art. (In the museum there is a nice canteen that serves overcooked pasta in reasonable prices). 
  
 
Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC
 
MET NYC
Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC
 
Central Park, NYC


5. East Village and Tompkins Square Bagles
Last but not least, the East Village! I’ve spend there the last day of my NYC trip. It was a sunny yet rather cool Sunday and I was just wandering around watching people, squirels and street art. This district used to be a home for  Russians, Ukrainians and Polish, then the Beat Gneration, followed by the hippies.  East village looks exactly like I thought New York would look like - artistic, vibrant, ans stylish. It’s not fancy at all, it’s just cool and hip.
 

East Village, NYC
East Village, NYC
 
NYC street art
 
NYC street art
* Tompkins Square Bagles – I’ve already had lunch but when I saw the queue in this place I knew something delicious is going on there. I’ve been waiting for this bagle about 30 minutes but it was totalny worth it! Hummus, grilled vegetables and freshly baken bagle.  Loved every piece of it!


Keep calm and eat hummus!
NYC, view from the Brooklyn Bridge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kto nigdy nie widział Sewilli, ten nigdy nie patrzył z zachwytem..."

Święto dyszla tu i tam...

Wenecja miasto miłości - a jakże!