Solo. Female. Traveler.

I know, I know it has been a while since my last post, but there's no time to explain. Let's just dig into the brand new post (with some of the random photos from my last trip).

San Francisco, 2016

It all started in September. Actually no, it started few years ago when I was in a bus, travelling from Palermo to Trapani. That day I decided that I am going to do something crazy/stupid/irresponsible (the list goes on, choose the word you like best) before I'll turn 30 and before I'll become a respectable matron. I've decided to cut my expenses, make a plan and stick to it(you must know I am very good with planning ;)).

In September 2016, after quitting my job, moving from my apartment and selling some of my things (I already miss my bike)I started my trip. Oh, and I decided to go by myslef because as you know I like to do thing my way...



Solo

Travelling solo is a great fun! Travelling solo has changed me and taught me a lot about myself. And about my relationships with people. It also taught me courage and self reliance. Finally, it gave me a chance to meet wonderful people. 

Ofcourse it wasn't always easy. I've noticed that when I travel alone, and for a longer period of time, there are moments when I have to deal with all my fears and thoughts and question which aren't jammed by the noise of everyday life.

No passwords, no catalogue numbers, no super-important-meetings, no rush, no stress. Just me and a brand new day. Oh, and it's me to decide how to experience it. I think that this kind of freedom is something everyone deserves, at least once in a lifetime. It's like becoming a kid again, just with the possibility to make decisions, eat ice-cream for breakfast and stay up late.

 108 days of solo travel and I still learn how to selfie ;) Vegas Baby!


Female

Being a woman is not an easy game, being a woman who wants to go and see places is even harder. But this post isn't about complaining how dangerous and hard solo female travelling can be. It's about something quite opposite. It's about how wonderful it is to feel independent and strong, no matter if you are single, married or desperate to find a man ;)

It's really great to have someone you can share the hardships and joys of the trip. Someone who actually can read a map. Someone who is willing to help with the bloody backpack when it doesn't want to zip. But as we all know, woman can do anything man can do(except peeing the wall while standing, as Colette said), so why not joining the community of girls who decided to explore the world solo?
 
Luckily, there are many places where woman travelling by herself can feel safe and free, without being bothered or solicited. Common sense, preparation and smile can always make things easier. So just do the research, pack your bag and go! 


Traveller

To be clear, I don't think of myself as a "real" traveller. I don't explore the jungle, I don't stay in a yurt with locals. My quite restrictive (plant) diet prevents me from trying many local specialities (lampredotto I am talking to you!). But since I also can't call myself a tourist I am using this word to describe what am I doing (like I know what I am doing:D). 

Travelling is awesome, I think everybody knows that travels teach us about the world, other people and other ways of life. But long term travelling is something even more amazing.

Imagine how it is to live for a few months with only few things in your bagpack (we really need less than we think). Having less is surprisingly very liberating...
Imagine how it is to live (at least for a while) without constant rush, and tons of responsibilities that we didn't actually agreed to.

Do you even remember how it feels to wake up when your body wants it not when the alarm makes your head explodes? Or how it is to eat when you are hungry not when your super important duties allows you?

I know that what I wrote may seem carelessly stupid to you but as far as I know stupid people are happier and live longer. So I am going to stay this way for a while and then I will be normal again.

Somewhere in Atlanta, 2016



Japanese Tea Garden, San Antonio 2016


Miami Beach, 2016

Austin 2016

Come on, you know this one ;)


Sorrento, Italy 2016

Tel Aviv, Israel 2016

San Francisco, 2016

Delphi, 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kto nigdy nie widział Sewilli, ten nigdy nie patrzył z zachwytem..."

Święto dyszla tu i tam...

Wenecja miasto miłości - a jakże!