The most quiet place in Rome

Have you ever had this weird feeling, when visiting a new  place, that somehow, someway this place seems to be familiar, like you have already been there before. It has happened to me a few times and each time it just freaked me out. Recently, I have the same feeling when visiting Ostia Antica, the ancients harbour city of Rome which nowadays is the enormous archeological site open to visit individually as well as in organized groups. The admission ticket cost 8 euro, but the impressions are priceless.




Ostia Antica offers ruins and excavations that can be compared only with those in Pompei, although those of Ostia are in much better condition. Another advantage is that this place is not so popular as the ruins in Pompei so you can actually walk the streets of the ancient Roman seaport not being bothered by anyone. The site is so huge, you can actually get lost in the old ruins of ancient temples, houses, shops and baths (here you can find the detailed information about the monuments and buildings). If you wish you can also visit the museum located right in the middle of the archeological site. There is also a restaurant with wifi in case you feel like you need immediate contact with XXI century ;)).

I like history but ancient times has never been my thing. Depite my lack of knowledge about the Ancient Rome the whole visit in Ostia Antica was an amazing experience. In contrast to some other museums and sites like that I didn't feel as an intruder, I could freely walk and discover the place. And it felt good. Also the serenity of this place is something I missed the exact moment when I entered the suburban train heading to Roma Termini. Although I must admit that being lost among those old walls have gave me some goosebumps ;)

I would like to show you few pics I have taken during my visit. It may encourage you to go there and maybe to feel the same way as I did. I didn't take much pictures there, I felt I would rather be there, enjoying this oddly magic moment. If you want some moving pictures please check the video at the botton of this post. This place rocks!


Ostia Antica, 2016

 
A lovely view, Ostia Antica 2016







Ostia Antica


 
Ostia Antica




Ostia Antica


Ostia Antica


Amphitheatre of Ostia Antica


Amphitheatre of Ostia Antica



Amphitheatre of Ostia Antica
Market Square of Ostia Antica


Excavations of Ostia Antica



Excavations of Ostia Antica


Ostia Antica



The House of Cupid and Psyche, Ostia Antica



Amor and Psyche



Ostia Antica mosaics


Ostia Antica, the entrance to the city




Ostia Antica mosaics


Ostia Antica


The Shops of the Fishmongers, Ostia Antica
 Ostia Antica





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kto nigdy nie widział Sewilli, ten nigdy nie patrzył z zachwytem..."

Święto dyszla tu i tam...

Wenecja miasto miłości - a jakże!