You just shouldn't go to Barcelona!


I am not gonna tell you how beautiful Barcelona is. I believe you know it well. I am not gonna tell you how nice and fun loving Spaniards are because this I believe you have also noticed.  What I would like to tell you is that Barcelona is not so happy with your visit. Nope, this is not a joke.

Recently I came across few articles about the bad effect a mass tourism has on the Catalan capital and how much  locals are pissed off of  it (link to this articles you can find here: Bloomberg and here: Economist).  I am not a person that easily believes in written words but this is what I found out when I was in Barcelona for a weekend:


Barcelona, 2015

You might think it pissed me off, because I am a tourist. I came to Barcelona for a lazy weekend to see some nice things, eat some good food and buy some crappy souvenirs. They should be happy to get my money that I have spent on food, hostel, public transportation and so on.

But honestly this message didn’t even upset me. At least not that much. Before I saw this sign I was already able to notice that mass tourism is in fact destroying Barcelona. No, not killing it, because it gives the city the other, second life: loud, chaotic and commercial. In the city center it is easier to find Burger King, KFC, MC Donald’s, Starbucks or Costa than a place to get some decent Spanish coffee or churros. Fast food chains are ubiquitous and full of people. All day and night the main tourist routes are bursting at the seams. Some visitors are incredibly annoying, loud, drunk and rude. Market La Boqueria is so crowded that buying something is actually quite a challenge...

Each time I visit a new city I like to sit on a bench with a cup of coffee or a solid portion of ice-cream and try to feel the place, just watching people and their everyday-life-struggling.In Barcelona finding a bench is a tall order – if you find some it would probably be occupied. If somehow you will find a good spot hordes of people will pass by you and make you feel uncomfortable, anonymous, insignificant and almost invisible.  

Barcelona, Plaça Reial

How is the true Barcelona? Does it still exist? Does it look like in a movie "L'auberge espagnole”? I have to say I don’t really know... After all I have spend there only two days. Despite the fact I may not be welcome there, I really wanna come back, because the city is worth discovering. No matter how many people will try to unable this,  you can still feel the city's vibe… And take some "mental pictures" that are perfect to recall when winter wind is gonna hit you between the eyes.

People playing music in a subway passage. Kids playing football at the time they should already be in bed. Couples kissing on the balcony under the Catalan (not Spanish) flag. Warm, wooden pier, perfect to take a nap. Sun rays on my face. Tibidabo hill. And colours, loads of colours, mosaics, murals and fairy tale constructions.

Don't go to Barcelona... at least without me ;)


Barcelona, 2015

Barcelona, 2015
   
Barcelona beach
 

Barcelona, 2015

Barcelona, 2015

 Barcelona, Casa Batllo
Barcelona, 2015

Barcelona, Casa Mila



Barcelona Cathedral

Barcelona, Barri Gothic

Barcelona, Park Guell

Barcelona, Park Guell


Barcelona, 2015

Barcelona, Casa Gaudi

Barcelona, Casa Gaudi

Barcelona Park Guell

Barcelona, Park Guell

Barcelona Park Guell

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Kto nigdy nie widział Sewilli, ten nigdy nie patrzył z zachwytem..."

Święto dyszla tu i tam...

Wenecja miasto miłości - a jakże!